How time flies. Tally-Ho Corner turns one tomorrow, which means I’ll be wrapping it in the skin of a freshly slain hare and passing it through the eye of Æthelwulf’s Needle – a local menhir. According to legend, any website that doesn’t undergo this ritual on its birthday is sure to end up selling its soul for a mess of pottage or a potty message in the following year. As the days leading up to a ‘threading’ are meant to be spent either in silent meditation or off your tits on sloe gin (naturally, I opted for the hedgerow hooch) there isn’t a proper Friday feature this week. What I can offer you is a quick scamper through some of the highlights of THC’s first twelvemonth.
2021 was the year…
- Cunning Comment Commanders wrested a Dutch bridge from redoubtable Red Devils.
- Cornerites voted Combat Mission their favourite wargame series of all time (Total War and Close Combat took silver and bronze).
- A serving RAF Puma pilot gave us insights into aviation over Afghanistan.
- The Siege of Port Arthur was remembered.
- I wrote some pieces that viewed in certain lights and from certain angles strongly resembled reviews.
- Dust was blown from the boxes of a few golden oldies.
- I optimistically called on the mainstream games press to stop treating simmers and wargamers as second-class citizens.
- No-one perished at the inaugural THC Air Show.
- I enjoyed thirteen Quick Teabreaks.
- Demo discs made a comeback.
- Solo defoxers visited Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Belgium, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Cyprus, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Guatemala, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Kyrgyztan, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mexico, New Zealand, Palestine, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Turkey, the UAE, the UK, the USA and Vietnam.
- And Friday defoxers became moderately well versed in subjects including destroyed art, heraldry, Malawi, the Pancho Villa Expedition, gloves, elephants, 1967, Iran, pawnbroking, English words of Czech origin, the Ripley Scroll, rice, rubies, prison islands, and zoological collective nouns.
None of this would have been possible without your enthusiasm, engagement, and financial support. To the readers who’ve made Tally-Ho Corner’s comment sections such lively, interesting places this past year, and to the vital subscribers whose monthly contributions are all that stands between THC and oblivion, I say a heartfelt…