Every Friday at 1300 hours, Tally-Ho Corner’s cleverest clogs come together to solve a ‘foxer’ handcrafted by my sadistic chum and colleague, Roman. A complete ‘defoxing’ sometimes takes several days and usually involves the little grey cells of many readers. Don’t be shy. All are welcome to participate.
The honeycomb below is a fancy form of wordsearch in which every cell is used, and words can curl and zigzag but never overlap. Each hive foxer has a theme (some past ones: owls, rugby, Egypt, UFOs…). Identifying the theme is a vital part of the defoxing process. Today’s puzzle is composed of 17 answers.
* * *
If you dwell in the UK*, would like to sup from an apt tea/coffee tankard while defoxing, have £15 (price includes p&p) spare, and don’t mind braving a somewhat Heath-Robinson purchase process, you can buy (while stocks last) one of the handsome mugs pictured above by following these steps:
1) Use the donation form at the bottom of this page to pay your £15.
2) Email me, tim at tallyhocorner.com, your address.
3) Wait patiently for your vulpine drinking vessel to arrive (I plan to dispatch orders on Mondays and Fridays).
* Sorry, I need to do some postage cost research before offering mugs to overseas purchasers.
* * *
Last week’s ‘33 things wot there are six of’ missing vowels foxer:
1. C NT RSTHTBR DRCHD – countries that border chad (Viscount)
2. PL YRSNV L LYBL LTM – players in a volleyball team (Electric Dragon)
3. GSL YN G – geese a-laying (Electric Dragon)
4. MR KSFVCK RSLG HTTN K – marks of vickers light tank (Viscount)
5. FT H RSNT HN BCLG – feathers on the NBC logo (Zwack23)
6. TRC KSNT HBTL SMG CLM YS TRYT RP – tracks on the beatles’ magical mystery tour EP (Viscount)
7. LG LDL V RSNC RCK TVR – legal deliveries in a cricket over (Electric Dragon)
8. CH M BRSNT HCYL N DRFBR TTST MPD – chambers in the cylinder of a beretta stampede (Electric Dragon)
9. SSGR TSTR NSMS TS – ss great easterns masts (captaincabinets)
10. PN TSNT HS T RFD VD – points on the star of david (Viscount)
11. F TNF TH M – feet in a fathom (Phlebas)
12. L VNGSPRSDN TS – living us presidents (Zwack23)
13. RL S DCGM VS – released ice age movies (captaincabinets)
14. PRSR VDDLTCS – preserved deltics (Phlebas)
15. RDS T RPSNL BRSF LG – red stripes on liberia’s flag (Phlebas)
16. W H LSNSR CN – wheels on a saracen (Zwack23, Viscount)
17. NGL CNCTHD RLSNW LS – anglican cathedrals in wales (Electric Dragon)
18. NG N SNC N V RBPCM KR – engines on a convair b-36 peacemaker (Phlebas)
19. HNR YVW VS – henry viii’s wives (Viscount, Phlebas)
20. CNTSFNR THR NRLN D – counties of northern ireland (Viscount)
21. LG SNNR G NP PM DD BR – legs on an organ pipe mud dauber (Phlebas)
22. FN DNGM MBR SFTHR PNC NMCCM MNTY – founding members of the european economic community (Zwack23, Electric Dragon)
23. DGTSNHN NB LL CTRSL FTHN D – digits on hannibal lecter’s left hand (Phlebas)
24. CR BNT MSNFR CT SML CL – carbon atoms in a fructose molecule (Phlebas)
25. SHK SPRSGNTRS – shakespeare signatures (Electric Dragon)
26. TP LSNSN WD RP – tepals on a snowdrop (Viscount)
27. GT SFL HR – gates of lahore (Phlebas)
28. CRM RNSTR KNVLS – cormoran strike novels (Phlebas)
29. RG NLMNPLYTK NS – original monopoly tokens (Electric Dragon)
30 G LSNT HN NT NSX TYS XWR LDC PFNL – goals in the nineteen sixty six world cup final (Zwack23)
31. FL VRSFQR K – flavours of quark (gusdownnup)
32. S PCSFSP NBLL – species of spoonbill (Zwack23)
33. PR SNRSW HSC PDF RMMC K LNBRGCR RC TN LFCLTYNNN TNGHTYFR – prisoners who escaped from mecklenburg correctional facility in nineteen eighty-four (gusdownnup)